I have built out of GLPI, FusionInventory, CustomFields, Microsoft MDT (Deployment tool) and a home made database synchronisation tool something that is close to SCCM at very low cost.
I plan to release it as soon as it is clean enough to be shared.
Basically, I use the data from GLPI to feed the MDT database. This enable automatic OS deployment just pressing "F12" at boot (PXE boot to MDT). Our technicians just choose the OS version, the machine name, the additional applications (MS office, OpenOffice....) in GLPI and that's it.
In order to manager hardware specificities, I rely
on the computer model to set some defaults, model based values.
This used to work fine until the latest update 2.3.21 which introducd commercial names instead of technical codes. A lot of machines where identified with a technical code for the model rather than a commercial name. This code is what MDT relies on to identify a model (plus, several models with slightly different hardware may often the same commercial name). The output on screen is much nicer (20C600JJFR is now ThinkPad Edge E540) but MDT is broken.
Therefore my suggestion is:
- Have GLPI manage both the commercial name and the technical code for computer models.
- Add one column to the glpi_computermodels table for code. Make this column indexed unique while names can be non unique. I hear there is a "product number field" in preparation in GLPI 9.2, maybe this is the right place.
- Show both code and name on computer description page.
- Adapt Fusion Inventory import code to store both informations.
Indeed, there will be an issue when two different versions of FI will report a different name for the same code. I guess the rule should be:
- If code and name reported are the same and conflict with an existing model where they differ, keep the one that differs as this is probably more up to date.
- If code and name reported are different, then update table. Last to talk wins!
In the mean time I would love to get an additional setting in the plugin which would let me choose wich code (MMODEL or SMODEL) I want to store in GLPI. Indeed this is open source software so I will probably do a dirty patch on the code to fix my problem, but I'd rather have a proper and maintained solution.
Thanks in advance.
Customer support service by UserEcho